My kingdom for a cocktail. Tis the holiday season and the end of a year. If you’re hosting a party or attending one, please practice the following tips:
1. Instead of letting guests make their own drinks, hire a bartender or designate an adult to mix responsibly and keep his or her eye on your guests’ consumption.
2. Alcohol is alcohol whether it’s 12 oz of beer, 5 oz of wine, or 1.5 oz of spirits in a cocktail.
3. Provide food to complement coctails. Fresh seafood and bread accentuate vodkas, smoked meats pair well with scotch and bourbon, and fruit mixes with tequila and rums. Don’t skimp on the food.
4. Have plenty of non-alcoholic drinks on hand like a robust tea punch and canned sodas, diet and otherwise.
5. Be sure your guests have a safe way home whether it’s by a designated driver or local taxi service.
These tips were provided by the Distilled Spirits Council of the United States, a national trade association representing the leading brands of bourbon, scotch, whiskey, vodka, gin, tequila, rum, cordials, brandy, and liqueurs.